Mediterranean cuisine is becoming more and more mainstream, and many people are turning to hummus as a snack or appetizer with veggies, crackers, or chips. This delicious chickpea spread is remarkably easy to make your own. Here’s a great recipe that’s simple to follow and packs magnificent flavor:
1. Start with a 16 ounce can of chickpeas. Reserve a quarter cup of liquid from the can and drain and rinse the beans.
2. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, three tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tahini (a paste made of ground sesame seeds, available at most grocery stores), two tablespoons of olive oil, three cloves of crushed garlic, and a dash of salt.
3. Blend in the food processor until the ingredients are mixed together and add the reserved liquid from the chickpeas.
4. After the liquid is added, blend again on a low setting for five minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
5. Serve with toasted pita bread as a snack or appetizer.
And don't be afraid to get creative! If you want to add some variety to your hummus, there are a number of things you can include during the mixing phase. The spicy condiment known as harissa can add some zest to your recipe, as can a dash of cayenne pepper. Other spices also create unique favor combinations – try coriander seeds, fresh lemon, curry powder, or dill.